- Patent Prosecution
- Post-Grant Procedures
- Patent Portfolio Strategy & Management
Vermont Law OS
The George Washington University
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Physical Chemistry
Western Michigan University
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Biomedical Sciences, General
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Volunteer and Executive Board Member at ReSET, 2010-Present
- Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, 2001-2010
Clients turn to Keegan for legal expertise in monetization focused patent prosecution and post-grant procedure experience. Keegan helps clients protect and defend their intellectual property assets. His practice concentrates on:
- Patent prosecution that focuses on defensible protection and the advisability of relying upon alternative forms of protection that may be available
- Assisting venture funded companies seeking patent protection
- Patent prosecution strategies for business growth and success
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board Procedures including interferences, reexamination proceedings, inter partes reviews (IPR), post-grant reviews, ex parte appeals, and other proceedings before the PTAB.
- Strategic counseling in patent-related matters such as patentability assessments
Dr. Caldwell has an extensive and diverse experience with initial patent prosecution counseling and prosecution of patent applications in the US and abroad. A distinguished veteran of the United States Marine Corps, Keegan’s educational background includes law, physical chemistry(PhD) and bio-medical science(BS). He is the author of numerous scientific publications in high-impact scientific journals, and he speaks regularly about patent law and monetization strategies. Keegan is currently the Director of the Innovation Series at the MIT Enterprise Forum and is long standing member of Chemistry and the Law. He has developed patent strategies for the US Navy and has also worked with Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo. Keegan has assisted clients with a broad spectrum of patent issues in tech and in life sciences and takes pride in curating high value patent portfolios.
Keegan is particularly knowledgeable with respect to Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) procedures. His experience working at the United States Patent and Trademark Office in the Central Reexam Unit coupled with his deep patent prosecution experience uniquely positions him to provide valuable insights during a PTAB procedure to help clients win.
Outside of work Keegan enjoys spending time contributing to his community and with his family He has served as both a volunteer and an executive board member of RESET since 2010. RESET is a DC based philanthropic organization that enhances STEM programs with hands on science and related field trips.